Wednesday, February 01, 2006

It's lonely out here

While standing at the door of Freemasonry waiting for admittance, one thought occurs to me. It sure is lonely! I have only met one person who is petitioning the Lodge other than myself. This has gotten me thinking.

I was told once that there is 187 due paying members of
Eagle Rock Lodge #19. Looking at Bonneville county's demographics it seems that there are 82,522 people residing in the same county of the lodge. 56,032 are over the age of 18. 27,456 of which are male. That is a high number of people from which only 187 are due paying Masons.

With only 0.68% of the adult male population of the county being Masons, I have to wonder why this is. Can it be that only 187 are deems good and moral men? Or is that 27,269 are atheists? Maybe it is that the others are not interested enough, or know too little, or don't know at all?

I'll bet dollars over dimes that it is the latter! But in my current state of unenlightenment I am scared that anything about it. To paraphrase Pike I'm afraid that it might bring a "swarming of the unworthy into the Temples".

So, I'll just wait patiently. Alone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Masonic Traveler said...

It is a lonely feeling, sitting, waiting on the steps of the temple.

The ratios are low, and the membership small as an overall % of the population, but (and there is always a but) not everyone gets Freemasonry, and it isn't for everyone.

Many an individual has struck off on the path, alone, for something they believe in. The trip is worth the isolation. On the otherside is a global brotherhood where you will NEVER be alone.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Well, on Wednesday of this week I'll find out the answer to the burning question... Will I join the brotherhood that we both speek of?!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home